Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Oh, UF, How I Love Thee!

The awesome Jaye Wells has declared October International Urban Fantasy Month! And she is holding a kickass contest to celebrate - seriously, this is one ginormous prize package. How do you enter? Write a love letter to Urban Fantasy. You can be serious or bring on the funny. Just tell the world what UF means to you (and make sure Ms. Wells can see it, of course). Check out her blog for the details. [Sidenote: if you aren't following Jaye Wells yet, you really should. She is funny as hell and has some good insights on writing.]

So, here is a little bit of why I love me some UF...


If loving Urban Fantasy is wrong, I don't want to be right. Give me magic, kick-ass chicks, vamps, shifters, wizards, witches, zombies, faeries, ghosts, Death, and maybe throw in a couple of normal humans too. Maybe there's some romance, maybe not. Tortured heroes and heroines, the intriguing anti-heroes, terrifying villains, courageous sidekicks - the characters keep me coming back, crossing my fingers that everything will turn out eventually. Intricate world-building that renders the impossible possible. Guaranteed action, danger, and enough tension to keep me glued to the edge of my seat.

Sometimes you tease me, with cliffhangers or the tragic offing of a beloved character, but I still keep coming back for more. Hollywood, eh, I might look forward to one or two movies a year, but I wait for books over a year in advance, sometimes more.

That's love, baby.

OK, sometimes slightly obsessed love, but it's still love.

I love too many books to list them all, but Kate Daniels, Sunshine, Atticus, Mercy, Cat, Chess Putnam, Justine Jones, Alex Craft, Sookie - you've all made me so damn happy (and sometimes sad or PO'd, but mostly happy).

No comments:

Post a Comment