Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

2012 Must Reads - UF/Fantasy

So, I've been going over my TBR list and thinking about my Must Reads that are releasing this year. I already posted some YA books I'm eagerly awaiting. Now it's time for my adult UF/Fantasy Must Reads. I included release dates and covers when available, but we all know sometimes things change. Let me know what is on your Must-Read list.



Timeless (The Parasol Protectorate, No. 5) by Gail Carriger

Steampunkish Victoriana with gadgets, vampires, werewolves & ghosts, and this time the whole family goes to Egypt. I think it's the final book in the series. out March 1

Discount Armageddon: An InCryptid Novel by Seanan Maguire

New series, and looks like it is completely different from the Toby Daye or Feed (written under Mira Grant) books. I like the idea of cryptozoology, and the young person trying to get out of the family business. UF; out March 6

Sacrificial Magic (Downside bk 4) by Stacia Kane

I really loved Kane's Downside books 1-3 - gritty, dark, and with a heroine who has lots of demons to deal with. Expect I will spend a lot of time worrying about Chess, and waiting to see how far she'll fall. UF series with romance; out March 27

Blood on the Bayou (Annabelle Lee 2) by Stacey Jay

Another heroine who has yet to hit rock bottom, in a world with poisonous fairies, mysterious criminals, and lots of personal demons. UF; out March 27

Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig


New series with a woman who can tell the future but can't change it, until she gets a really, really good reason to try to fix things - like saving her own life. Fantasy/UF?; out April 24

Deadly Descendant (Descendants 2) by Jenna Black

Series based on descendants of the gods; no romance in book 1, but who knows what will happen next. Dark, good action, and very interesting characters. UF; out April 24


The Killing Moon (Dreamblood 1) by NK Jemisin

New duology; I'm not really sure what to expect, but given my love of the Inheritance trilogy (where I didn't know what to expect either), I'm excited for this. Fantasy, out May 3







The Janus Affair (Ministry of Peculiar Occurences 2) by Philippa Ballantine & Tee Morris

I had so much fun reading book1 in this series. Looking forward to more gadgets, tension between opposites Books & Braun, and lots of conspiracies and dastardly goings-on. Steampunk; out May 29

The Taken (Celestial Blues 1) by Vicki Pettersson

New noir-ish series with mysteries to solve and angels (and maybe other things that go bump in the night). UF; Out June 12

Tin Swift (Age of Steam 2) by Devon Monk

I loved book 1 Dead Iron, with it's mix of characters, western, fantasy, and steampunk. Cannot wait to see what happens next! Out July 3

The Iron Wyrm Affair (Bannon and Clare 1) by Lilith Saintcrow

New Steampunk/alt Victorian series with magic; out Aug 7








Gunmetal Magic: A Novel in the World of Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews

Kate Daniels #5.5; Andrea's book. Andrea has been through a ton of crap, some of it her own making, and I can't wait to see how she gets herself together. UF; out in August

Full Blooded (Jessica McClain #1) by Amanda Carlson

Jessica just became the world's only female werewolf and the supernatural world is gunning for her. Expect lots of action. UF, out Sept 1

Inexplicable (Clockwork Century 5) by Cherie Priest

I have so much fun in Priest's Clockwork Century. This time we'll be back with some characters from Seattle, and I do believe there might be a zombie Sasquatch. Steampunk, out 2012.

[Edited to fix reference to Dreamblood duology, not trilogy.]

3 comments:

  1. I live in fear of looking at these lists...too much to read, so much I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel the lure of the shiny, pretty booksies....
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in fear that my ginormous to read list will develop a personality and come after me for reading too slow!

    Timeless, Tin Swift, Discount Armageddon and The Iron Wyrm Affair (I had seen this last one but am not sure it is physically on the list - must check that) are ones I've alredy decided to add to the evergrowing thing.

    I really need to catch up on Priest's Clockwork Century - I've only read book one! Of course, I've also got to finish Scott Westerfeld's and a zillion others in there somewhere too.

    ReplyDelete