Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Review: The Cormorant

The Cormorant (Miriam Black #3) by Chuck Wendig

I might just love Miriam Black. OK, no might about it. I do. I love every crass comment, every time she throws herself into a fight most would run from, that she still has hope she can change things (no matter how many times she has burned, stabbed, and shot at that little shred), and the heartbreaking way she horribly pushes everyone away.

If you haven't read Blackbirds and Mockingbird, stop here, and get to readin'. I'll try not to be spoilery, but this is book 3, so some hints are inevitable.

If you believe something long enough, it becomes true. Miriam believes she is poison to those around her. Is it true, is it something she's made true, maybe both? Given her upbringing, her traumatic past, her "gift" of being able to tell when someone can die, and then throw in her personality I'm thinking it is the last one. Being around Miriam is dangerous, but there is also a growing list of people who owe her their lives.

CORMORANT is everything I could hope for in a book 3 - consequences from events in books 1&2 come home to roost, Miriam has a turning point, a story arc is completed, and we have a new goal for the next installment.

After getting a taste for changing fate, Miriam has been trying to change the fates of others who die violent deaths. This generally means taking out the perpetrator of the crime. She's become a vigilante, but is she making the right choices? You know The Trespasser has something to say about this, but can she trust it? Can she trust herself?

Pretty soon Miriam is getting messages from someone with an axe to grind, she encounters more people with powers similar to hers, and she sees her mom for the first time in years. The clock is ticking, she has little time to save those around her and herself, and she needs to explore the new power she uncovered at the end of Mockingbird.

Fast-paced, action-packed, I devoured this book like yummy word-candy.

And the end, the last line. I freaking loved it and wanted to cheer.

Miriam Black books are on my auto-buy list, and I can't wait for book 4.

THE CORMORANT Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Indiebound

Angry Robot: http://angryrobotbooks.com/

Chuck Wendig:
website: http://terribleminds.com/
twitter: https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig

1 comment:

  1. I need to start this series. I have the first on my shelf waiting for me. Now I need to get caught up a bit to get to it. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete