Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Review: When the World Was Flat...

When the World Was Flat (and we were in love) by Ingrid Jonach

Some of the ideas were very interesting. I will keep an eye out for more from the author.

It has taken me awhile to write this review, mostly because this is a book that straddles romance and sci fi. but for me doesn't completely fit into either category. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but does make it does mess with your expectations. The beginning starts out like many YA romances. There is a definite touch of something "other" but there is lots of love-hate-love that is pretty standard. Then the sci fi aspects kick in and you are walloped (just like our MC) with the expansion of life, the multi-universe and everything.

I kind of like how the inter-dimensional travel worked. There were some developments that I thought could have been explored a bit more, especially in the end where lots of stuff was happening very quickly. The final sentence is actually very close to how I felt at the end of reading it.

I wasn't sure about the love interest, but then I don't think I was really supposed to be. However, since the love interest basically took up a good portion of the book, I'm left a little "Hmmmm."

If you are a romance super-purist, you might have some issues. Scratch that. If you are a romance super-purist you WILL have some issues.

For me, not having this be a conventional romance saved it. The sci fi fan in me wanted some more answers to the very interesting questions raised, but some ambiguity isn't bad either.

It was a quick read, and the last quarter flew by, and like I said, I will check out the author's future books. If you are a fan of romances that don't quite follow the rules and also like some sci fi, you should give this one a try.

[received an ARC]

Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Indiebound

Ingrid Jonach
website: http://www.ingridjonach.com/
twitter: https://twitter.com/IngridJonach

Strange Chemistry: http://strangechemistrybooks.com/

1 comment:

  1. Sounds cool. And I like that it isn't one or the other but both. That's what won my eye. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete