Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Interview with Amanda Carlson

I've talked about my friend, Amanda Carlson, before. She has a new series debuting this year with Orbit and I am so thrilled I can barely find the right words to use. I've grown to love Amanda's characters since I got my first glimpse at this world she's created. And now, finally, everyone else gets to read about them too.



Blooded: A Jessica McClain Novella was released yesterday and it gives you a little prequel to the action-packed werewolf goodness you'll get with Full Blooded out this September. Here's my take on it:

I had a lot of fun reading this novella. I like shorts, and I've read my share of "prequel shorts" - the little intros to give you a taste of a new series. This is one of my favorites because I am an action-junkie and there is A LOT of action packed in here. You also get a good picture of the dynamics of the world Jessica lives in, and a good intro to the supporting characters.

Her schedule is pretty busy these days, but Amanda is here today answering some questions. And away we go:

Can you describe this past year in one word/sentence?

Unbelievable!

How does it feel, releasing this first glimpse into your new series?

I’m so excited to share Jessica and her world with everyone. It’s been a long journey and to think it’s finally here is amazing! I’m trilled and terrified at the same time.

Did you always have this origin story in mind for Jessica, or bits & pieces?

I had her background roughly fleshed out in my mind, but writing BLOODED helped me immensely. It gave me a very clear picture of who Jess was and where she came from, her emotions from the very beginning. This novella turned in to a really fun prequel to the novel.

There is a lot of kickass action in Blooded, did your previous life as a ninja prepare you for writing UF? 
Absolutely! I studied at the Ninja Academy for years until I felt ready enough to write this. Some of you may also know it as the Motherhood Academy. Being a mom earned me the warrior badge and I took it from there. My early childhood Kick-the-Can days couldn’t have hurt either. It was finally time to put all that well-honed practice to work for me.

What authors inspire you?

There are so many fantastic authors out there—in UF and outside of the genre. The books that stay with me the most are the authors with distinctive voices. Kresley Cole is a favorite of mine. Her characters jump off the page and it’s an absolute joy to read. Georgette Heyer is my favorite Historical author & I have a massive collection of her books. I never get sick of reading her. As far as world building, Tolkien may take the cake for me.

What's next for you?

I’m currently working on book three, COLD BLOODED, and I’m having so much fun. Writing more books in the series is great because I get to develop the world and make it more interesting as I go. I love it when things pop up and surprise me. That’s the best part of writing urban fantasy.

Is Jessica a trenchcoat and stiletto boots kind of girl, or t-shirt and jeans? Where is she on the UF clothing spectrum?

Jess is mostly a T-shirt and jeans gal but when she’s out on a job she’s in spandex! She needed to be unfettered when she fought, so I put her in something fluid and easy to move in. No midriff, no leather. She is known to also rock a good tailored pantsuit.

Devi Pillai is one of those editors that when I find out she has edited a book, I get it on my TBR list. How was it working with her?

I love Devi! It’s been a dream to work with her. She’s smart, funny and takes no prisoners. She knows what she wants and I appreciate that so much. I feel lucky every single day I’m at Orbit. Hachette is such a great publishing house. Every person on the journey so far has been terrific. I can’t imagine being anywhere else. 

Thanks Amanda for stopping by!

Blooded is available at Orbit Short Fiction | Amazon | B&N

For more on Amanda Carlson, check out her website: http://www.amandacarlson.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment