Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Review: Kindling the Moon

Kindling the Moon (Arcadia Bell #1) by Jenn Bennett

My first thought when I finished this book: I should have read this earlier. I'm still kicking myself over it, to be honest.

This is definitely my kind of story. Strong female lead, great magic system, believable relationships, good supporting cast - if you are an urban fantasy fan you should read this book.

In fact, I know many of you are thinking about books to read this summer. If you have not grabbed it yet, put Kindling the Moon on your list.

Arcadia Bell has been hiding out. Her parents were infamous suspects in a cult murder spree and they have all been in hiding for years. Their fake deaths are unmasked when her parents are spotted back in the states, and  it is up to Cady to prove their innocence. She needs the help of Lon, a photographer/rare book collector who happens to rub her the wrong way at first... 

The twists and turns this story takes. Just damn. DAMN. I was surprised by some of it, and that doesn't usually happen. Well done, Ms. Bennett.

The magic system with mages and earthbound demons was really interesting. 

There is a romance and I thought it was done really well. The dynamic between Lon, his teenage son, Jupe, and Cady felt so very true. I'm looking forward to how that all progresses.

I can't wait to read the next book and see what Bennett cooks up for us next.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this series. It is absolutely AMAZING. Wait until you read book two. And book three...it comes out on Tuesday and day-um! It's freaking phenomenal. Maybe you should have read it earlier but at least you've read it now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Glad to hear the series keeps getting better. :)

      Can't wait for Bennett's new 20s PNR series too - that one I'll jump in on from the start. :)

      Delete
  2. Haha, I've heard this series is rather good. And I think I'm going to be in the same boat as you when I finally get to it. It's right there. *points at shelf* waiting for me. :)

    ReplyDelete