Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

More Recent Reads...

Tiger Eye (Dirk & Steele #1) by Marjorie Liu

I picked this one up as a Kindle freebie (and as of Nov 27 it's still free on Amazon. I checked B&N but right now it's listed at $7.99). Sometimes you get the freebies and think, well, I'm glad that was free, but other times you get one, devour it, then realize you are in trouble because now you want to read all of the rest. Not complaining too much, my TBR list can always use more, and now I get to add Liu's other books.

Very enjoyable paranormal romance. I liked the way that power was introduced. The set up for future books was well done as well - the side characters were likable. The pacing was good too.

Dela and Hari were believable and I liked their interaction. Another one where there isn't a "big misunderstanding." I cannot stand it when the main obstacle is just a miscommunication that could be solved by a 2 minute conversation. Much prefer the action-oriented romances where there is a big bad (or 2) to deal with.

It's a romance, but I also got a superhero/comic vibe from it. The psychic detective agency aspect is fun - Dirk & Steele employ "special talents" who read minds, start fires, change shape, etc. to right wrongs and keep those talents safe from governments or other groups that would exploit them.

Blood Rights (House of Comarre #1) by Kristen Painter

I was expecting more romance - and there is some romantic tension, but this is not a "Romance". I'm putting it into the UF category. I've also seen it referenced with YA, but I don't think that is a good fit at all. This is an adult book, and has some very dark moments (although nothing too graphic or gory).

The worldbuilding was cool - a complex society that you are thrown into. Hidden from human eyes, vampires and other supernatural creatures exist in their own societies. You have the Comarre - kind of like geishas, in that they are companions to vampires, their blood is very powerful, they are known for grace and beauty. A very secretive society, Comarre also have a more deadly purpose. They are well trained in weapons that can kill vampires or other supernaturals.

Chrysabelle, a highly prized Comarre, is on the run. Her patron is dead and she has been framed. She turns to her anathema (outcast) aunt for help. She falls in with an anathema vampire, Malkolm, who is haunted by spirits of those he's killed (physically, Fi haunts him, and the voices of his victims torture him). We also get Doc, Mal's varcolai (shifter) associate, and get an intro into the other supernatural communities, most of the illegal sort.

We've got conspiracies, lots of action, magic jewelry, the devil, and the end of the world as everyone knows it. There is kind of an ending, but it is really just set up for the next book. I'll be reading it.

There are a lot of new terms thrown around for paranormal creatures we fans are all familiar with. It was easy to get into the lingo, though. I have to admit that I was not surprised by who Tatiana turned out to be, but I was surprised by some of the events at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment