Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Fun Stuff & Recent Reads

Alpha Showdown

I so wish I had thought of this, but that honor goes to Vampire Book Club. So far there has been a Bones vs Wrath battle (Bones for the win), Cat vs Fayth (Cat wins), and Anita vs Eugenie (Anita squeaked by). Dmitri vs Jace and Zsadist vs Curran are going on now. Curran needs votes, people.  Barrons is up tomorrow, and Kate will be up soon. Head on over, vote, check out the awesome bracket. Fun stuff.

Recent Reads

Dark Descendant by Jenna Black

My plan had been to start this one after I'd finished a couple more on my TBR list, but I decided to peruse the first couple of pages, got sucked in, and couldn't put it down (or read anything else) until I finished. Dealing with the descendants of gods living in modern times, battles between factions, and a descendant of Artemis who is thrust into all of this, putting her loved ones and her own life in jeopardy. I loved the heroine from the start, likeable, funny, but not bitter or too tough to be believable. Really interesting world, and being the sucker for all things myth-based, I ate it up. Check it out. [link goes to Goodreads.]
  

Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Book 1 in a trilogy, this one starts out slow, although I was still drawn into it. About the midpoint it picks up speed (to the point where sometimes I wish it would slow down a bit), but overall I enjoyed it. Witches, daemons, vampires, evolution, forbidden romance, even time travel. Usually time travel makes my head hurt, and I was pretty happy to see that it made the heroine's head hurt too, for the same reason. I'll be reading the next one. [link goes to Goodreads.]




Reading now:
Feed by Mira Grant
Ship Breakers by Paolo Bacigalupi
Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow
Phoenix Rising by Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris

Counting down to May 31st - MAGIC SLAYS is almost here! Did you preorder?
Amazon  B&N  [eBook links]

No comments:

Post a Comment