Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Review: Moonlight & Mechanicals

Moonlight & Mechanicals (Gaslight Chronicles #4) by Cindy Spencer Pape

I did something with this book that I really rarely do - I read book 4 without reading any of the preceding books in the series. To be fair, it is a romance and generally you can get away with reading out of order for most romance series (of course, there are exceptions). I didn't realize it was a book 4 when I first requested it, but I really had no trouble getting into the world, so it all works out. I plan on reading the other books too, so that works out better.

This is a paranormal romance with an infusion of gadgets and alt-Victoriana.

Winifred, better known as Wink, is a brilliant scientist and inventor who used to be a street urchin before she was adopted. Liam is a werewolf who works for Scotland Yard. She's been in love with him for years. He has feelings for her, but fears his werewolf self is too dangerous to be around. He has many issues stemming from his parents abusive union.

Both are involved with the Order of the Round Table, who use magic and gadgets for queen and country.

One of the Knights of the Order, a dear family friend, has asked Wink to marry him. She doesn't love him, but seeing as Liam has professed his plans to remain a bachelor, she considers the offer. In the meantime, people have been disappearing from Winks old neighborhood, there is a possible conspiracy afoot to derail an upcoming royal event, and our two romantic leads are pushed together to solve the mystery.

I liked both leads. Wink is my kind of heroine - strong, smart, and practical. I felt for Liam and I could understand why he thought he shouldn't get involved with Wink. Luckily, this is a pretty quick read so the angst is not drawn out for long.

There was a bit of action, mostly at the end.

It was so fast, especially the conclusion, that we didn't have much time to veer off into other relationships. I think if I read the other books, those relationships would have been clearer, but at no point was it confusing. I thought that this was a fun quick romance that still remained fairly light.

[I received an ARC to review.]

No comments:

Post a Comment