Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Review: Skies of Fire


Skies of Fire (The Ether Chronicles #1) by Zoe Archer

Christopher is the captain of an airship. He is also a Man O' War - fused with a metallic substance that gives him extra strength and energy (he's pretty much the battery for his ship, and he needs the ship in order to siphon off said "energy" - symbiotic relationship). He and his crew are behind enemy lines when they get a distress call from a nearby village. They find Louisa, an intelligence agent, who also used to be Christopher's lover. She has info on a munitions plant that needs to be destroyed to help turn the balance in the war.

And, of course, smexy good fun as they get reacquainted. It doesn't happen right away, of course. Christopher is still very angry she left (and how she left), and Louisa is working through her feelings as well.

This was a very quick, fun read. There isn't a ton of world explanation. I got a feel for the time and place, but there weren't any big history lessons. I kind of wanted some of that, as I find that aspect of world-building very interesting.

I did like Christopher and Louisa together. Given that Louisa left, it is easy to paint her in the villain role of the break-up, but I mostly just felt sorry for her. I thought that the pace of their reunion felt right. Not too rushed or drawn out.

There was a decent amount of action. Louisa more than holds her own, and I liked that Christopher respected it. He is alpha-ish, but doesn't try to put her in a cage.

I'll be checking out more in this series.


No comments:

Post a Comment