Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Review: The Kingdom



The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen #2) by Amanda Stevens

This is another hugely addictive series. I talked about the series as a whole over at Stellar Four. This time I'm just reviewing the second installment.

If you haven't read The Restorer yet, you might want to skip reading this review until you are caught up.

Amelia has taken a job on a remote island as a way of distancing herself from the haunted John Devlin. She meets the alluring Thane Asher and uncovers a murder mystery and the truth about where she came from. (Cue intense dramatic music)

She also gets a dog.

Like The Restorer, this one is atmospheric and angsty, and just freaking delicious to read. I love all of the gothic glory and tortured romance. It completely works and I want more. It's another book where I don't want to tell you much about story specifics because it was all part of creating the broody, thick tension-filled setting and I don't want to spoil it for you.

There is kind of a love interest in Thane, but we aren't in love triangle territory. I can't explain why, but we aren't there.

I do stand by my thought that Amelia needs to find some way to scratch that itch. Really.

Again, we see ghosts that follow Papa Grey's definition, but we also see signs that there are more to ghosts than just what Amelia knows.

We get some answers in this one, and a bit of a teaser about who will be featured in the next book. I will be reading it soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment